Joint communiqué of the CNI and the EZLN denouncing the repression against the Arantepacua, Michoacán Purépecha community.
The peoples of the world.
The National Indigenous Congress, the peoples, the Nations and the tribes that formed it, express our indignation by the cowardly attack of the bad government against the Purépecha Community from Arantepacua, Michoacán, on 4 and 5 April of this year.
A committee of community members sought to have a good faith dialogue with the bad government of the State of Michoacán, Governor Silvano Aureoles Conejo then betrayed them. First by blocking their way with hundreds of soldiers and dozens of trucks as they were heading to Morelia to try to come to agreements which were the resolution of an old agrarian conflict. Then, while the commission was in negotiation with the Government, several contingents of the Michoacán Police and the State Ministerial Police attacked the community along with federal forces, sowing terror, invading homes to arrest residents and opening fire indiscriminately, taking the lives of three residents of Arantepacua:
- José Carlos Jiménez Crisóstomo (25 years old)
- Luis Gustavo Hernández Cuenete (15 years old)
- Francisco Jiménez Alejandre (approximately 70 years old).
There was also a number of wounded people that is not specified, of whom two are serious injuries, while 38 people were arrested by the Government of Michoacan on April 4th and 18 more were arrested on April 5th. The government accused them of fabricated crimes that amounted to criminalizing their exercise of basic rights.
Brothers and sisters of Arantepacua, your pain for the murder of these comrades is ours as well. We fight because we are certain that the punishment of the guilty parties will only emerge out of the exercise of the dignity, resistance and rebellion of our peoples. We set out to sow truth and justice to the destruction that the powerful bring us, this is what we know how to do as a people.
The bad government thinks that through spreading terror in the indigenous territories of Michoacán, and in much of the country, they will silence the people and their word, but that will not happen, because the word the native people are collectively shouting today was born just indignation, the fatigue from and the decision taken not to be killed, displaced, divided or bought.
- To immediately cease the repressive escalation against Arantepacua and Purépecha region communities.
- The immediate release of colleagues detained by the bad government.
- Justice for the victims of the cowardly aggression and repair all the damage caused.
- The punishment of Governor Silvano Aureoles and all those who are responsible, materially and intellectually, of the crimes committed.
- To force the police and military forces to leave Arantepacua, because while they are present they do not cease to harass the villagers.